Objectivism Online Forum

Slander & Libel

Rate this topic

BIGBANGSingh

I don’t know why Ayn Rand endorsed such laws, but I have my own argument.

Lying about the product or service you offer constitutes fraud. A newspaper/newsmagazine is a product with the implicit claim “To the best of my knowledge, everything published inside is true.” Hence, knowingly publishing lies constitutes an initiation of force against the buyer of the paper. However, the injury is to the individual/entity who is the target of the slander/libel. That individual is also the one most capable of recognizing the falsehood and correcting it – hence, he is considered to be the wronged party.

[i agree; the following is further elaboration]

The Onion's implicit claim is, "To the best of my knowledge, everything published inside is false [even if it is intended to mimick the truth]."

To be slander, by GreedyCapitalist's definition, it must make an implicit claim to truth as part of the purchase agreement / terms of service, and then it must violate that agreement or those terms by violating the claim.

I assume that, by "be intended to be taken seriously," you mean, "claims to be the truth to the best of my knowledge."

What would this imply about an unintentional violation of the claim? "To the best of my knowledge" means that only intentional violations, the ones that are to the author's/editor's/publisher's knowledge, are slander. The unintentional ones are not. But as soon as he learns about it [and doesn't correct it], it is to his knowledge and is slander.

Libel is written. Slander is spoken.

Do you have some argument as to why slander might be an initiation of force, in some non-media context? For example, I know someone who was theatened with a slander suit for telling an incriminating story (it was actually a true story, but for the sake of argument suppose it was false) about a person to a potential employer that lost the potential employee his job.

danielshrugged -

« Libel is written. Slander is spoken. »

True. Good call.

« I know someone who was theatened with a slander suit for telling an incriminating story [...] about a person to a potential employer that lost the potential employee his job. »

Morally, is that grounds to convict? The potential employee did not have a right to the job, and the potential employer lost out by his own negligence were the story false because he didn't seek to corroborate it.

Richard_Halley is right, that there needs to be some kind of compact. (But I would add, though unnecessarily in the context of this thread: possibly implicitly. I said that just for old times sake.) The sale of a newspaper is contractual in its very nature, though the contract, though explicit, is not written. Tale-bearing is not contractual.

I believe that libel and slander are civil actions, not criminal. To recover damages, the burden of proof is on the plaintiff to show that significant damages occurred as a direct result of the false writing or speech. It would be extremely difficult to prove that the Onion caused party A to act inappropriately toward party B.

Richard, I believe slander/libel is a special case of fraud. Fraud is normally the improper acquisition of values by misleading the other party as to the nature of the item being exchanged. Slander/libel is the misrepresentation of another party's character, sometimes to improperly acquire values -- such as spreading lies about your competitor's products to get people to purchase your own -- and sometimes just to improperly inflict damage on the misrepresented party. It is an instance of force in the sense that an obstacle (the slander/libel) is imposed between the minds of others and the truth about the aggrieved party's character.

Nothing can be "imposed" on the minds of others.

I'll expand on this a litte: It is up to each individual to decide what he or she will accept as truth. Sometimes this will require more information than is initially given. Any acceptance of a statement as truth without some sort of contract or sufficient supportive evidence (on faith), is irrational.

Slander and libel also can refer to revealing information that may or may not be true, but cannot be proven, and is private/personal and/or defamatory.

For example, claiming that someone is a homosexual may be considered slander/libel, even if it is in fact true, if it damages ones reputation.

"Libel is written. Slander is spoken."

Good line. Anyone else ever notice that the character of Jameson is completely based on Gail Wynand? Even in the way that he tries to destroy Spidey with his newspaper.

The issue is whether or not slander/libel represents an initiation of force. Richard says, "Nothing can be 'imposed' on the minds of others." I agree. However, something can be interposed between your mind and reality -- without your agreement and thus against your will -- rendering you unable to reach a valid conclusion.

When physical forced is used, the effect is to make you act against your own judgment, thereby negating your mind. When fraud or slander/libel are used, the purpose is to trick you into reaching an erroneous conclusion -- again, without your agreement and thus against your will -- which also negates your mind. Is this not also evil?

Nothing "forces" you to believe the fraudulent claims or the slander/libel -- but if you are enticed to act on the claims and in doing so suffer damages, surely the defrauder/slanderer/libeler should be held responsible.

This is the way I see it: If an individual is "gossiping" in private, it is not slander. We all understand how rumors get twisted out of shape. There is no contract (in actuality or implication) that the statement is true. If someone makes a public statement about another person (i.e. televised speech, radio broadcast, etc.), and the statement is untrue, damaging, and has malicious intent, slander has occured.

There is no understanding that everything everyone speaks is true. There is, at the very least, an implied understanding that when one makes a statement to the general public, it is truth.

Edit: This is the reason hearsay is not admissable in court.

Richard, "as is" just means that the usual assumption that a product is in working condition doesn't necessarily apply. It doesn't give the seller license to lie about the condition of the product.

If I offer my car "as is", and it has no muffler and the steering wheel doesn't work, that's ok -- "as is" implies that it's the buyer's responsibility to determine for himself the condition of the product. However, part of the way he may attempt to determine that condition is by asking questions of the seller. I might refuse to answer questions about my muffler, but I couldn't morally (or legally, I think -- if it could be proved) claim that the muffler works and then later hide behind the "as is" status of the sale.

Granted, if I post a sign that says "this car is offered as is, and I'm going to lie about its condition", there wouldn't be an implicit agreement that I'd tell the truth about it. But that would be absurd, and I'm sure it's not what you had in mind.

MinorityOfOne, it is true that the seller's claims being true is considered an implied term of sale, but it is still a term of sale. So, AisA's question may be answered, using the principle I implied: No, it is not ok because it is a term of sale that the seller's claims must be true.

If, however, there are no terms of sale, than the seller may say anything he likes, and it has no meaning in respect to the sale's validity.

I agree, though, that, unless otherwise stated, the act of selling should be legally considered to mean that your claims about the product are true.