Objectivism Online Forum

Who will be Leonard Peikoff's intellectual heir?

Rate this topic

I know this question may seem superfluous, but will Mr. Peikoff decide to have an 'intellectual heir' as Ayn Rand did? Who will be the 'official voice' of Objectivism after he passes? He better make a decision soon.  :P

What, is he sick?

The only purpose of an heir to Miss Rand's estate is to have someone to dictate what of her writings will be re-printed and what they will be used for. Dr. Peikoff, although WIDELY respected and relied-upon by Objectivists because of his lengthy personal involvement with Miss Rand, does not speak for her on intellectual matters any more than I do.

The 'official voice' of Objectivism as far as I'm concerned is and always will be Miss Rand. The final judge of reality is . . . ME. I need no passage of apostolic authority to be able to manage that perfectly well.

Do you think, perhaps, that Objectivists need some kind of spokesperson? We're not a political pressure group seeking favors from the government. Individual, happy, successful Objectivists leading their lives are the most effective spokespeople as far as any other purpose is concerned.

So, to sum up: if Dr. Peikoff dies before Ayn Rand's copyrights expire someone will have to take up the task of managing her estate. No other 'heir' is necessary or desirable.

I know this question may seem superfluous, but will Mr. Peikoff decide to have an 'intellectual heir' as Ayn Rand did? Who will be the 'official voice' of Objectivism after he passes? He better make a decision soon.  :P

There's no need for that. ARI will be the "intellectual heir". The official voice of Objectivism is however only Ayn Rand, and since she unfortunately is dead, there is no official voice of Objectivism.

I know this question may seem superfluous, but will Mr. Peikoff decide to have an 'intellectual heir' as Ayn Rand did? Who will be the 'official voice' of Objectivism after he passes? He better make a decision soon.  :)

The FAQ page at ARI states, “Dr. Leonard Peikoff is Ayn Rand's legal and intellectual heir.” Of course, in the pre-1968 editions of Atlas Shrugged, Rand had designated Nathaniel Branden as her intellectual heir. But precisely when and where did Rand announce Peikoff as the new intellectual heir?

Edited by Eric Mathis

The 'official voice' of Objectivism as far as I'm concerned is and always will be Miss Rand.  The final judge of reality is . . . ME.  I need no passage of apostolic authority to be able to manage that perfectly well.

Do you think, perhaps, that Objectivists need some kind of spokesperson?  We're not a political pressure group seeking favors from the government.  Individual, happy, successful Objectivists leading their lives are the most effective spokespeople as far as any other purpose is concerned.

So, to sum up: if Dr. Peikoff dies before Ayn Rand's copyrights expire someone will have to take up the task of managing her estate.  No other 'heir' is necessary or desirable.

Isn't it a little more than that? I believe Ayn Rand deemed Leonard Peikoff the person most qualified to talk and write about Objectivism. Intellectual heir doesn't mean pope, but it also doesn't mean anything less than "intellectual heir." That is something more than "will designee."