Objectivism Online Forum

Movie: The Polar Express

Rate this topic

Stephen:

Thanks for the recommendation. I was wondering when i saw the trailer whether it would be worthwhile. How is the story?

I was immediately interested in the movie because the trailer helped me imagine an animated version of Atlas Shrugged. For such a project all one would need is a FEW good actors; the rest would be up to the animator.

After watching that film, Stephen, can you picture an ATLAS animated movie?

Americo.

The movie was AWFUL! And that's not because I don't like the story -- I love it -- but the movie butchered the gentle charm of the book. The Polar Express has always been and will continue to be a favorite of mine, but I was not impressed with the film treatment of it at all.

Gaudy, loud, long, manufactured. Certain parts of the movie were very well done, but I feel that those moments were steamrolled by the rest of the noisy junk.

I'm not trying to be a humbug! :D But I gotta tell it how it is

Stephen:

Thanks for the recommendation.  I was wondering when i saw the trailer whether it would be worthwhile.  How is the story?

Unlike the incredible The Incredibles, The Polar Express is a very simple story, and the characters are rather simply drawn. The beauty, to me, was in the great adventure, the visual splendor, and the overall emotional sentiment. (I'm a sucker for both children and Christmas.) The technical aspects of the film were also fascinating, a lovely use of motion (performance) capture.

I was immediately interested in the movie because the trailer helped me imagine an animated version of Atlas Shrugged.  For such a project all one would need is a FEW good actors; the rest would be up to the animator.

Oh, I do not need this movie to convince me of that. I have always thought, dating back decades ago, that animation would be a wonderful form in which to present Atlas Shrugged.

Stephen:

I was immediately interested in the movie because the trailer helped me imagine an animated version of Atlas Shrugged.  For such a project all one would need is a FEW good actors; the rest would be up to the animator.

Americo.

I had a similar thought after The Incredibles. The techniques of computer animation have reached such sophistication that I think an Atlas Shrugged movie could be done really well. Especially the 100+ MPH train run on the JG Line, the Rearden Mills, Rearden metal and other visually stunning passages of the novel. Let's hope "those in charge" are at least considering this approach!

d_s

Saw Polar Express with my daughter today (7 years old). She liked it. Unfortunately, I found it predictable and boring. A movie that relied on moderately well executed style (nothing any good current studio cannot churn out) to tell a bromide-like tale. The "hero", the poor guy on the other side of the tracks, the kids who is "disgusting" because he is interested in stuff like the exact model and specifications of the steam engine, and even the bell that (so boring and so predictable), shows up when expected...

There are many kid's films I like: Jungle book, Shrek... some have humor and music that gets me through the simple plots. "Polar Express" had no such redeeming qualities.