Objectivism Online Forum

Simone

Rate this topic

ycsmdafli

I recently saw this movie and I have to say I was very impressed by the way it demonstrates how one person can dig a hole in the lies they tell. In this case constructing a never ending string of lies that if ever unraveled or the ruth be revealed could cause major problems for the architect of the web. More over though it made me think if it were even possible for the events in this movie to be accomplished in real life? The ability to convince the general public around the world that a computer generated scope of reality is indeed real. I am not sure on this but I would say that it is possible. :)

• 5 months later...
I recently saw this movie and I have to say I was very impressed by the way it demonstrates how one person can dig a hole in the lies they tell.

The writer/director of SIMONE, Andrew Niccol, seems to like playing with this theme. His earlier film, THE TRUMAN SHOW (which he wrote), illustrates a similar point about how nobody can win a war with reality. The villains in the film have all the advantages: time, money, people -- but they can't fake Truman's reality without his consent. The very tools they use to construct and run their artificial world become the mechanism of their undoing.

Niccol's other film, GATTACA, is also worth watching. He's a talented screenwriter; unfortunately his directing style is very dark and static.