Objectivism Online Forum

Collector's Edition Of "Ayn Rand: A Sense Of Life"

Rate this topic

It is hard to add to the praise already heaped on Michael Paxton's magnificent documentary "Ayn Rand: A Sense of Life," but the new Collector's Edition not only offers a widescreen version of the film, but also includes a second bonus DVD that itself is worth more than the price of this 2-DVD set.

The second DVD includes additional interview material not in the original film. There are delightful stories about Ayn Rand told by Leonard Peikoff, Cynthia Peikoff, and Harry Binswanger. Dr. Binswanger's stories were particularly enjoyable, especially the one about the time two nuns knocked on the door of Miss Rand's home in Chatsworth, California. Don't miss it!

Michael Paxton himself was interviewed on an episode of the show "Filmmakers" and it is included in its entirety, too. Listening to him discuss the making of the film, detailing the time, effort, and love that went into its production, I was again struck by Paxton's brilliance and the value he places on Objectivism and its creator. No one else could have made as beautiful a film as "Ayn Rand: A Sense of Life."

A high point of the bonus DVD is the filmed version of Paxton's very successful 1989 production of Ayn Rand's play, "Ideal." Those of us fortunate to have seen this world-premiere play in Los Angeles fifteen years ago remember hearing the splendor of Ayn Rand's words spoken by first-rate actors under Paxton's masterful direction. Those who did not, have a very special treat awaiting them. But even for those who previously saw the play, the filmed version offers an additional level of enjoyment because we get to see the action close up from the perspective chosen by the director. This adds another level of emphasis and meaning to the film. This part of the bonus DVD is a treasure.

Any fan of Ayn Rand will be delighted with this new Collector's Edition of Michael Paxton's "Ayn Rand: A Sense of Life." It is available directly from http://www.aynrandbookstore.com

Thanks for the reccommendation. I am going to order it right now. I loved that film the first time I saw it. It galls me to no end every time I read a Kellyite mock it because it 'diafied' Ayn Rand or was an example of 'ARIans serving up public relations for their patron diety." Some people have no conception of rational hero worship.

Thanks for the reccommendation. I am going to order it right now. I loved that film the first time I saw it.

I love it more each time I see it. Michael Paxton did a magnificent job.

But, I am still rather amazed at the content they provide in this Collector's Edition. I would have gladly paid the full price just for the film version of Ideal alone. Think about it. An Ayn Rand play which premiered 15 years ago in Los Angeles -- never seen before -- and now you get to see it on film!

I love it more each time I see it. Michael Paxton did a magnificent job.

But, I am still rather amazed at the content they provide in this Collector's Edition. I would have gladly paid the full price just for the film version of Ideal alone. Think about it. An Ayn Rand play which premiered 15 years ago in Los Angeles -- never seen before -- and now you get to see it on film!

You said that Paxton directed quality actors in "Ideal". Which actors? I'm impressed that Paxton has made a partial penetration into Hollywood.

You said that Paxton directed quality actors in "Ideal". Which actors?

Some were first-rate, but that does not equate with well-known. Janne Peters was wonderful as the female lead, Kay Gonda. She won a DRAMALOGUE award for her performance in Ideal, as well as earning a Drama Critics Circle nomination. She has a Garbo-like quality in the play, perfectly reflecting the sense of Ayn Rand's words. The Bonus DVD has the bio information for the cast and the crew.

I'm impressed that Paxton has made a partial penetration into Hollywood.

In the interview show he talks about his surprise Academy Award nomination, and he discusses his current and future plans. Michael is a really nice person, and incredibly talented. I'm sure you will enjoy seeing him in his interview show.

The birthday is incredibly much closer than Xmas.  But Ive been very selfish - so that makes me naughty by Santa's standard.  :angry:

The Santa that comes to OUR house has different standards.

When our son was little, we told him Santa was a symbol of generosity toward those we love. There were plenty of presents under the Christmas tree "To Matt, From Santa."

Eventually there were also packages with tags reading "To Mommy from Santa Matt."

I loved that documentary. I used to own it, I guess I still do, but I lent it to a friend and last I heard he's living in New Jersey. I saw the movie in the theatres and it was a wonderful experience. I cried, I shivered, I left the movie feeling inspired and excited. When I had the VHS, I used to watch it regularly for a quick burst of inspiration.

Thanks for telling me about the play Ideal. Because of that I think I can convince my friend to buy it. Over the last year I became more and more excited about drama. When I first read that play I had the same reaction as watching the film: I cried, I shivered.

I particular like the name of the film, a sense of life, because I have a vision of seeing a little russian girl with big, penetrating black eyes, serious but with an aura of pure joy, and saying to myself: inside that girl is a power that will save the world.

Americo.

• 2 weeks later...

I received my copy of the DVD yesterday, and I watched Ideal today. Wow. It's extraordinary.

Not being accustomed to watching plays or theater, the background silence was a shock---I'm used to the extreme loudness of movies. The film is black and white, and made to look old with some graininess and other techniques. The soundtrack has the feel of a cathedral in it, in the best sense.

The acting was very good, it lived up to the material, especially the acting of the woman who played Kay Gonda. I thought the man who played Johnny Dawes was the least convincing. But the play, the direction, the sense that this is the way plays and movies are supposed to be written and filmed, this is what films are supposed to be about---was simply magnificent.

Highly, highly recommended.

What the DVD offers is not the complete "Ideal," but excerpts ... a little more than 50 minutes, total. I didn't get to see it when it was staged; but the tape recorded reading version I heard from NBI in the '60s was about two hours long. So a lot has been cut. But this version does capture the essence of every scene.

Also, this is an adaptation ... though a respectful one, with the main change being a police detective questioning Kay Gonda, to connect the various scenes, and replacing the prologue.

And YES, the acting and directing ARE SUPERB! The person who compared it to being in a cathedral was absolutely correct. Seeing this masterpiece is a deeply moving experience.

What the DVD offers is not the complete "Ideal," but excerpts ... a little more than 50 minutes, total. I didn't get to see it when it was staged; but the tape recorded reading version I heard from NBI in the '60s was about two hours long.  So a lot has been cut.  But this version does capture the essence of every scene.

You're right, the DVD mentions somewhere that the play itself had many more characters in it, and that each of the actors played several different roles. It was cut down to its essence, and it couldn't have been done any better.

It is hard to add to the praise already heaped on Michael Paxton's magnificent documentary "Ayn Rand: A Sense of Life," but the new Collector's Edition not only offers a widescreen version of the film, but also includes a second bonus DVD that itself is worth more than the price of this 2-DVD set.

Great. Does the bonus DVD include any material on the psychologist who helped propagate Ayn Rand's ideas from 1957 to 1968? Or is he still officially a non-person?